A History with Heart
Assumption School represents the sacrifices, perseverance, and the great faith of the parishioners of Our Lady of Assumption Parish that was founded on April 20, 1884. Within the first ten years the parish dreamed of having its own parish grammar school. However, because of changes in pastor and church fires this dream was not brought to fulfillment until 1922. Assumption parishioners made many sacrifices and worked hard; finally the school opened its doors in 1925.
In a letter from the Bishop of the Springfield Diocese to the Superior General of the Sisters of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, the sisters were invited to staff Assumption School. The sisters’ congregational mission is “To reveal the Father’s love through education”. How appropriate that the sisters of this French Canadian congregation would carry on their mission by sharing their faith, culture, and language with the children of Assumption School for the next seventy-five years.
Although the Sisters of the Assumption no longer staff the school due to the attrition of religious over the years, the legacy of learning continues. Presently, students come from Millbury, Worcester, and many numerous cities and towns. With much dedication and faith this 20th century dream continues strong into the 21st century!